Saturday, June 12, 2010

Wild ride

Holy cow May was nuts! I spent the month at Derby, Rev 3 Knoxville, vacay to NYC, celebrated Sophie's 1st Birthday, and got back out on the IMKY course... and it's been an amazing whirlwind to say the least.

Derby was a wash out, it rained all day. But nothing could ruin the fun my big bro and his bachelor party buds had. They rented a tour bus and driver and made the cross counrty trek (from Texas) to celebrate KY style. They were hilarious, and my parents house still smells like the day after a drunken college party.

Rev 3 Knox was everything it was cracked up to be and soo much more. The course was tough as nails... but I didn't expect anything less from HG! What other race has tooooons of pre-race giveaways, transition areas with a pretty name plate, free post race boxed lunches, fabulous awards, handstand contests, and a finish line lai! Soo looking forward to Rev3 Cedar Point, then Rev3 Costa Rica in Feb!! Holla!

NYC was more of a whirlwind than a get away. I had never been so we took a long weekend and I believe we saw every square inch of the city. We stayed in a high rise apartment in Central Park and did 5th Ave, Times Square, Empire State, Ground Zero, Ellis, Statue of Liberty, Today Show concert (saw Sting front row!), Jimmy Fallon show (disappoinment, mostly pre-recorded), FAO, Wall Street, Grennich, SoHo, skinniest apartment in NYC (8ft wide, 3 stories tall!), Brooklyn Bridge, Rockafellar, Central Station, Central Park, street performers, street performers in shiny spandex kicking each others arse (it was commical), China Town, Little Italy, local dive bars, Long Island, Queens, and hundreds of other places! How did we get to it all in 4 days? Simple: coffee, pretzels, and of course pizza. I LOVED the City!

Summer is in full swing and so is the training! This weekend is a local Olympic. The local races are my fave because it's a tough training day with all your friends! Looking forward to the challenge!!

Next weekend is the climb up Mt Hood. I've gotten all my gear and have absolutely no clue how or when to use it. Thank goodness for climb school the day before! And get this, I just found out our start time: 12:30a. Seriously?! Do you really think it's a good idea to send a moron (that's me!) up the side of a mountain in the middle of the night??!! It's dark, cold... and have you ever seen me on minimal rest? It's a sight. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

That's it for now! Happy training!!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Hey! Welcome back to Blogland, Monica! :-)

Those Rev3 courses look amazingly challenging! I can't wait to do one (or two) of the Oly distances in the future. That will probably be all that I can take of the hills. LOL!

Glad you had fun in NYC! I love the city and miss being so far from it now. Why to we always take things for granted when we live so close to them only to miss them terribly when we move?

Good luck this weekend!