Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Biking has done me wrooooong

So there I am, pumping gas on Siesta Beach in my swim suit fresh after an ocean swim. Spring Breakers are driving by in their rental Wranglers, music on blast, making it as obvious as possible that they've been drinking. I'm just taking it all in and chatting with Heather (who refused to get out because she was still halfway in her wetsuit), when, without ever thinking twice, I turn my head and blow a big snot rocket!! Right there at the gas station... surrounded by drunk kids, I decide that must be the best way to rid my discomfort. Seriously!?

Then, earlier that day we were walking to the beach. It was a long drive there and we had to park pretty far, most of the campers were ahead of me when I decided I had to pee. My first instinct was to look towards the bush on my left and thought 'perfect!'. Now don't get too nervous Mom, I didn't do it. But the thought crossed my mind! What has all this riding done to me!! It must mean that I've spent wayyy to much time in the saddle if snot rockets and bush stops feel normal. What's next? Peeing in the fake plants at the mall because 'I just had to go'? This is soo not good, something must be done.

It's been way too long since I've had on 'normal' clothes and did 'normal' things. I keep talking to friends at home who ask if I've gone to St. Armands Circle or Siesta or some fancy smanchy restaurant. My response: I've ridden my bike through St. Armands a few times trying to hold on to the super bikers ahead of me, I do open water swims at Siesta, and the only restaurants I eat at are The Pancake House and Hungry Howie's Pizza Buffet because they serve a lot of food.

My goal for next week: go to the beach to learn how to paddle board, put on a pair of jeans, and no... absolutely NO snot rockets off the bike! Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Sherry said...

You crack me up! Nothing like a good laugh (or snot rocket) early in the morning. :o)

OK... so you MUST include some chillax time (as Bree Wee would put it) over the next week or so. I'm not sure the jeans will work (it's getting so hot), but the paddle boarding and perhaps a stroll through St. Armands (no bike, no run... just stroll) are totally doable! :o)

dgg said...

Monica, you ROCK with the snot-rocket's. Cool! This is so normal after lots of time in the saddle. Do take some time to do some crazy things.

Samantha said...

too funny! That was an awesome post. I've never mastered the snot rocket. I think I tried once and it got all over my face. For some reason I've always hated blowing my nose and I have to cover my ears and la la la la la at the sound of it. haha.