Saturday, March 21, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I made it!! 14 hours of drive time plus a few more in pit stops and I am sitting at my desktop. It is sooooo good to be home!

My mama flew in to Florida on Wednesday morning and we spent the next two days eating french toast, getting roasted on the beach, sitting at outdoor cafes, window shopping... It was awesome!

We trekked home yesterday making a stop at All3Sports in Hotlanta. The shop is AMAZING and everyone there is truly top notch. It's definitely where I'll be doing my online shopping!

My trip to Florida was a great experience and I learned a ton of valuable lessons. I've come to realize that your body can be pushed much further once you stop telling yourself that you can't. This trip started out full of 'I can'ts', but workout after workout I began to to surprise myself and somewhere along the road I began to believe in myself, and that I can.

Most importantly I've learned that all this hard won't account for anything unless I use it to inspire others. I can run myself into the ground day and night and selfishly expect someone to care, which pretty much describes a typical triathlete. Or I can use this trip, training, and the knowledge gained to help get someone off the couch, into the gym, or through their workout when they really feel like taking a nap. I'm always tired, however, I never regret forcing myself to go for a swim when I really wasn't up for it (which, by the way, is always).

Other bits of knowledge I've picked up on during my two month stint: don't ride over bridges in the dark, don't fuel for a 4 hour ride with water, put sunscreen on your back when you swim in an outdoor pool, don't wear a new pair of racing flats for the first time on a 16 mile run, chocolate soymilk is a gift from heaven, you don't really have to separate your darks and whites you just have to press the 'colors' button, always carry a spare and look at what you're standing in when you pull over to change a flat, always be thankful that you have the ability to complete a workout, and say something positive when you look in the mirror ;-)

Train on!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Glad you arrived home safe and sound, Monica. I must admit that I'm sad that I won't see you the next time I'm up in LR, but hopefully you'll be back again soon. :o)

Awesome post, by the way... especially the part about inspiring others. I'm still soooo new at all of this, but I love seeing people's eyes light up when I tell them, "Yes, YOU really can complete a triathlon!"