Monday, July 13, 2009

Double Whammy

Today is Monday, and I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Saturday was the Muncie Half, and it was sooo much fun (more on that in a bit), but then I decided to go out with my besties who were in town for the night. Not a good idea. I was up for 24 hours straight. Sunday I woke up at 8:30a, drove home, ate, went back to bed, woke up at 5:00p, ate dinner, and was in bed at 10:00p. I was worthless, and today is no different. I've done nothing but sleep the last two days... and I'm still exhausted! Racing + night out with the girls = being hit by a bus might not be so bad compared to this.

OK, so Muncie...

I got up at 4:50a and left the hotel by 5:10a (efficiency). We decided to tour beautiful Indiana for a while before actually arriving at the race. This little detour took about an hour to get to the start!! Still plenty of time to get set up, warmed up, and stuffed in my wetsuit.

SWIM: I felt great in the water. It was super choppy from the wind but I just stayed the course and did my thing. I strolled out of the water in 35 min! This is where I like to complain about how hard I work only to get slower, but you know that's a lie.

BIKE: Onto my ride. The first 10 or so miles are protected and faaaast! It's hard not to fly on this part. It was so much fun to see the local OC or Training Studio jerseys all over the course. I never felt like I was working too hard, but whenever I checked my HRM it said 240. Hmmm. Anyways, I hit the turnaround a bit slower than I wanted so I picked it up the second half, or least I attempted to pick it up. The last 15 miles welcomed me with rain that felt like razors. So much for gaining lost time.

RUN: I started the run with some guy who talked me straight through the first five miles, it was awesome!! He told me all about his training, managing investments, life in Chicago. You name it, we talked about it. I hit the turn around a minute off my goal pace, maybe if I wasn't Chatty Cathy I could've focused more on the goal at hand. I said peace out to my new found friend and picked it up to try to salvage a race. Things were going great, but the hills on the last 1.5 miles slowed me down.

Overall, it was such a fun day! I have no complaints! I felt great the whole day, I smiled through most of it, and was encouraged by the many friends and teammates out on the course! Congrats to all the finishers!! It was a tough day with tough conditions, but it made that finish line all the more sweet.

I have now been awake for 5 hours, my longest streak since Saturday, so it's time for a nap. Good night.

1 comment:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great job monica! I love going out with the girlfriends after races. You need to - MUST - celebrate every moment after, otherwise why work so dam hard? It sounds like you had a great race!