Sunday, July 19, 2009

SERIOUSLY!?

I did my long ride today, and as I was out I got to thinking about my recovery and how I don't take it very seriously. I told myself that today I would go home to an ice bath and my super protein shake, I would stretch and foam roll and walk right by the cookies without touching a single one... but instead I found myself driving home well past the '30 minute window', purseless, with shattered glass throughout the car and no more passenger window.

Today started great. It was a small group ride that split off half way through and left me and my brother to log the miles solo. It wasn't too windy or hot, and I felt better than I thought I would. But then I turned onto 42 and got really confused. I think I'm generally a good person: I treat people how I want to be treated and I have strong values and I go to church every week (almost every week). So I couldn't figure out what I did to piss these a-holes off to the point where they felt the need to prove themselves. These dumbass drivers read a one-sided article about how they should consider cyclists an inconvenience and all of sudden they have to prove they're bigger. I get it!! You win! Not only are you bigger but you can blow my ass into smithereens!! But it never fails. Idiots in their Earthf***er 4000's feel the need to pass within inches and for what reason I have no idea.

Back on track... So my brother and I finish up, we load our bikes into his car and drive back to my car which was parked downtown (I left earlier from the rowhouse to get extra miles). I knew I had a t-run in store, but after taking our sweet time I reaaaally didn't feel like doing it. I threw my bike in my car, had a debate with myself, and decided to hell with it, throw on your shoes and move your arse.

There was this super shady dude at the bathrooms that kept fidgeting and pacing, both Sean and I noticed him but didn't think much too much of it. After I was off on my run I considered doubling back to my car but knew I would jump in and drive home, so I steered clear. 29 min and 43 sec later I made it back to my car to find a sweet little surprise from Mr. Shady himself. My passenger window was shattered and my purse was gone. No, I didn't leave it sitting there in the open for him to nab, but I did pull it out to grab my Garmin before the run so he knew where it was. Grrr!! Who does this guy think he is!?! People work so hard for what they have Ol' Stickyfingers somehow feels entitled to sidestep that minor detail.

I cancelled my cards and no charges had been attempted. When the cops came they said they're normally looking for cash. Do you want to no how much cash I had?? Four whole dollars. My cell phone was sitting in the drivers seat (now that was dumb on my part), my bike in the back untouched, and he goes through all that trouble for four bucks! I hope it was worth it.

It's been one of those days, but all in all, I'm healthy and have lost nothing more than material. I've got more to live for than to dwell on small potatoes... so bring it.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh, Monica! That totally sucks... what a day! Grrr...

Wishing you a MUCH better week!

Regina said...

wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you. IF it were me, I'd be scoping the location of the "infraction" waiting for shady dude to show up for some retribution and pay back...but that's just me (stupid of course).