Saturday, July 4, 2009

Swimmin' like a rock

I love to complain about how bad of a swimmer I am. Every race I get out of the water baffled by the time on my watch. 'How can I be so slow when I work my arse off!?! Grr!!' - That's normally what runs through my head in T1. But, if I'm brutally honest I know exactly why those numbers don't diminish over time. The proof is in the pudding, and this week I've had my taste.

Guess how many times I made it to the pool in the past week? One time, and I didn't even get to swim, there was a meet going on... so zero times! I made it to the river for a few swims, the quarry, and I even got in the dirty ol' channel, but how many times did I get in the pool... goose egg. Long and slow seems to work just fine in my book, yet it I never fail to be perplexed that I can't swim fast in a race.

I love to throw up a lung when I ride and run, but for some reason I can't do it in the pool! How do you swimmers not rip your eyeballs out from the boredom? I know I need to suck it up and get it done, after all the only way to become a better swimmer is to, well, swim.

I have a race next week. My last two races were pretty uneventful, and this is a fast course, so I'm looking for a good confidence boost - just racing against myself and the clock. A swimmer friend told me he swims a bit everyday leading up to a race, so I'll try the strategy. Starting Monday (that's not an excuse to have the weekend off, that's because no pool in the city is open this weekend!) I'll swim everyday. It's a silly little goal, as that's only five days, but for me it's a toughy. So bring on the green hair and that sexy chlorine smell, I'm gonna learn to swim!

2 comments:

CET said...

Go for it woman! I am right there with you....BORED!! I try to bribe all my clients into swimming with me....that helps sometimes! :)

Regina said...

I have the same problem with running. I hate it! I understand the boredom with swimming, but I love it. That does not mean I am a great swimmer. I am decidedly middle of the pack, but I'll take it since I really only started swimming with competition in mind since February.

I'm excited to have the outdoor pools finally open for lap swimming, yeah! NO more indoors!

Good luck with your swim goal this week.