Friday, November 14, 2008

Clearwater... Part 1

I just returned from my whirlwind in Florida, and I decided to break it down into a few posts...

It all started when I flew to Tampa on Tuesday (11/4). Todd Gollnick scooped me up from the airport and took me to my new home for the next three days...the Gollnick residence. As Heather is notorious for, we hit the ground running! We ate lunch, went for a run (where I discovered her new assets... lookin' good ;-) ), went to the salon to go over some business while Heather got her wig split, did a running lecture, got carry out, ate and hit the sack. Phew...Day 1 down.

Day 2 started at 5:45. We headed off to downtown Sarasota for a group ride. Actually, Heather did a group ride while I enjoyed my morning coffee at Starbucks (didn't want to hammer on my taper week). When the group returned Heather went back out, this time with me in tote. We rode 20 miles of easy-peezy, super-duper flat roads. In the past I had despised my disc, but on this ride it proved to be a valuable friend! I made up my mind to definitely use it on the big day.

We quickly changed, ran in Whole Foods for some sushi and a veggie juice (gross...it was Heather's idea!). We drove out to a great nature park for a trail run...and some sight seeing! We saw an armadillo, a turtle bigger than my head, a guy peeing in the bushes, and some crazy birds that can't be found in Kentucky!


Next up, the gym. We did some hip and core work before a quick swim, then FINALLY made it back home (about 12 hours later!!).

Day 3 started at, you guessed it, 5:45! We drove to San Antonio for some "hills". This was SO much fun as Heather was nervous I may be working too hard to climb 'em. I reminded her that I live in the hills and these roads were nothing more than rollers. I rode an easy 20 miler, then went for a 20 min t-run. Heather and her bud, Sean, were still out riding so I got cleaned up and walked down to a cafe for some lunch and R&R.

After Heather scooped me up at the cafe we headed to Clearwater Beach where the real fun started! I arrived at the expo, got checked in, met my girl Ann (she's the bomb!) and got handed off to my parents.

Staying with the Gollnick's was so much fun, Todd and Heather made sure I was well rested and taken care of! We had William (a miracle worker!) drop by the house for a massage, I was fed some of the BEST gluten free foods ever, they even personally delivered soymilk to me in Clearwater after I couldn't find any (after the race I found out the hotel coffee shop sold it...oops!) They are amazing, caring, and so much fun!! And the kids finally told me they liked me... even after I told them I voted for Obama (they clearly weren't happy with my response).

It was a fun start to race week, but now it's time for game face :-)

No comments: