Monday, December 15, 2008

Ready or Not

It's cold... and rainy... and all I want to do is eat and sleep. So instead of going for a run, I've decided to post an update ;-)

I graduate on Wednesday and I'm pretty pumped!! I still don't have my grades from this semester so I can't officially brag that it's with honors (although it should be unless I failed both classes... God, I hope that's not the case!).

So... what am I going to do with my degree? That seems to be the big question on everyone's mind (what happened to the good ol' congrats?!). I plan to travel with my degree. That's it. My secret is out.

Seriously though, with or without an MBA I'm sooo not cut out for business suits and cubicles. I love personal training and coaching and training for triathlons. Some people don't look at that as a career, but it makes me happy and pays the bills. So for now, and in the near future, it's my career :-)

January something (exact date TBD) I'm packing up my newly purchased car and driving to Lakewood Ranch, FL. I'm staying with a super cool homestay and will be coaching tri camps almost every weekend, coaching my online clients, and getting run into the ground with some solid training. I plan on being there for about 8 weeks total, but I'm sure I'll travel home at least once for a long weekend and home cooked meal.

I'm nervous to officially set my departure date because it will come all too soon. While I'm so, SO excited and feel blessed for this amazing opportunity, the truth is I've never left home for more than 10 days! I went to college and grad school in Louisville, and the farthest I've lived from my parents is Old Louisville (about a 20 min drive home ;-).

For this reason I'm slightly undomesticated. My first apartment I flooded the kitchen with bubbles when I put the wrong soap in the dishwasher, and I couldn't begin to tell you how to do a load of laundry. I know, it's pathetic, but I haven't even begun to describe my cooking skills. I don't think I've ever cooked a pizza without burning that stupid cardboard piece into the bottom of it (Seriously, why do they hide that there!?)

This journey will be a challenge on so many different levels, but one that's way overdue. I need to do this for me. When I was trying to decide whether to go to Florida or not, I kept thinking of all the reasons not to go: I have great personal training clients that I can't leave behind, it will be expensive, I don't have a place to stay... Then slowly each one began to work itself out, and even though I'm totally freaked out, I'm totally eager to be a grown up and do something so out of my comfort zone. So, just like I answer people right before the start of a race when asked if I feel ready, ready or not...

1 comment:

Brian Blackwell said...

What am I going to do for a swim coach? Selfish I know:) Good luck and enjoy!