Friday, January 9, 2009

The Countdown

This time next week, I will have a new home... in sunny Florida!! In six short days my dad and I will begin our journey to the Sunshine State. I am filled with so many emotions, I don't know how to respond anymore when people ask how excited I am.

On one hand, I don't think I could be more excited!! I've been given this amazing opportunity to train with some of the most fun, competitive, and successful athletes in the sport. I've found a great homestay who will hopefully be patient with my domestic skills, and I'll be working tri camps throughout the state with some of the most well-known coaches! I know if I open myself up to the challenge, I'll come out of it a more well rounded coach and athlete.

On the other hand, Team Louisville has kicked off and just one week into it, I'm totally hooked! We have such a dynamic group of athletes, coaches, sponsors, and local support. Right when things start to come together I up and leave :-( And then, of course, there's the whole leaving my family thing that's just killing me. I haven't been sleeping at night because I'm worried sick about flying the coop. I know it's something that will make me stronger, but that doesn't mean it will be easy.

I guess Coach G understood I was having separation anxiety, so she did her part to get my mind off the trip... by ramping up my training volume. Starting yesterday I have three daily workouts. Yesterday was a 13 mile aerobic run, spin drills, and strength session. Today is a 4K swim, aerobic spin, followed by another swim. Tomorrow: long run, long swim, strength. This continues through Wednesday, then I'll have the weekend to recover and get settled into the Florida house before really ramping things up the following week.

I know this is an amazing opportunity and things wouldn't have worked out as well as they did if it wasn't meant to be. So I'm putting on my big girl panties and going for it.

Here's to breaking out of my comfort zone, to trying something new, and to taking a chance. Here's to finding out what I'm really made of.

As for now, off to ride the trainer. Happy Training!

No comments: