Sunday, January 4, 2009

Out of the Rut

I've been in a rut. I always love change, always love to be on the go... but lately I've been on the same ol' schedule doing the same ol' thing. It got monotonous. I have these huge dreams of living in a small mountain town, or on a small island, where the lifestyle is far from robotic. Where the people are friendly, carefree, and non-materialistic... that's just so me, but I've never been decisive enough to go for it.

So for 2009 I vowed to do whatever makes me happy, to go out on a limb, and live out my craziest dreams. I want to travel all over the world, meet new people, race great races, share memories with my family, and do whatever else comes my way.

I used to be so carefree, such a go-with-the-flow kinda girl. Whatever I felt like doing, I did. Now don't get me wrong, I took a few wrong turns and stumbled more than once, but I always got back up and grew strong from each experience.

Then somewhere along the road I got scared, lost my confidence, and hid behind the ones I knew would protect me. I began to play it safe, and that meant boring. I got stuck in a rut.

Here I am today: I've created a great image and built a great resume that would impress just about anyone... anyone except for me. So 2009 is about me. It sounds selfish, but really it's not... because what makes me happy is my family and my friends.

I resolve to be the best daughter, sister, aunt (or Uncle if we're including the Hoetker's ;-) and friend. I resolve to treat others how I want to be treated and always put friends and family before me. I resolve to be the best and most well-rounded triathlete and coach, and to make the most of every opportunity that comes my way no matter how unfamiliar.

2009 isn't about being a new person, it's about taking full advantage of the person I am. It's about having roots and wings. I've got strong roots that will only grow stronger, now it's time to spread my wings. Here's to the road less traveled!

No comments: