Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Touchdown Florida!

I've landed... in sunny Sarasota (sort of... Lakewood Ranch, just outside Sarasota)!!

Our journey began on Thursday when my Dad and I loaded up the car, had a tearful goodbye with my mom, and headed south in search of temps above 0.

After about 12 hours on the road we called it quits and bunkered down for the night at the Florida border. We made it to Lakewood Ranch around 2:00p on Friday and met my homestay family. I was super nervous, but it turns out they are great and suuuuuper sweet. For the next few months I'll be living with Sue (the mother) and her three kidos: Chris (10), Cam (12), and Abby (14).

My dad and I spent the weekend together getting me settled in. It was so much fun and I didn't want it to end!! We worked out together, found the essentials (gym, grocery, bank, church...), dined on Siesta Key, and bummed around in the 70degree weather. Then Sunday I drove him to the Tampa airport and had yet another tearful goodbye. It was hard to let go.

The house is quite cozy and the family is helping me feel right at home.
My bedroom


My bathroom (I forgot to shut the door!)

The view from the kitchen


My new pool is outdoors! It's really neat! Apparently Florida is experiencing some sort of cold spell (feels like paradise to me), so the lady at the front desk of the Y told me to rest assured, their pool is heated. Well yesterday I swam in it for the first time and thought I was going to pass out!! It's like swimming in a bath tub... or better yet, a hot tub!

Working out here has been so easy, it's hard to not want to! Every road has a bike lane, there are jogging paths and trails everywhere, and most people commute sans a car. It's great!!

Sunday was supposed to be an easy ride with Sven, however, Sven had different plans. My first ride outside since Novemeber and we were pushing 26mph on the straights, so much for easy. After a little over an hour I was pooped and went straight to bed.

Monday was funday, and my first day as a big girl without my parents! I worked all morning and then around 1:30 decided to start the workouts. I swam a 3900 in boiling water, then rode for an hour with a few pickups (yet still slower than yesterdays ride), then ran for 45 min through the trails. It was so much fun!! I finished around 6:00 and was famished. I ate and fell right to sleep!!

Which brings me to today. I have to take my car in, run a few errands, then hopefully the wind will die down and I can get a nice long run in without getting blown away. I'll let you know how it goes, until then!!

No comments: