Sunday, January 11, 2009

Reality Check

4 more days until I leave for Florida. In past posts I'd mentioned how nervous and scared I was, how I'd never left my family, and boo hoo, blah, blah, blah. Well today at breakfast, my big bro Sean put everything into perspective.

When Sean was 22ish, he decided to take a break from school and pursue his passion to play professional soccer. He spoke with many of his coaches who each encouraged him to go for it and that he has what it takes. As you may know, soccer isn't all that hyped up in the US, however, in Europe it's a different story.

Most of Sean's coaches were from some part of Europe, and low and behold, a coach came through and got him a tryout in his hometown... of Sarajevo. As in Sarajevo, Bosnia. As in foreign language, violence, recently war stricken.

Sean accepted this opportunity to play pro, because after all, it was his dream. He went to Bosnia for 3ish weeks, totally on his own. He was put up in a hotel and picked up every morning for practice, beyond that he was totally and utterly on his own in a foreign country.

Talk about reality check. I'm sitting at breakfast talking about how nervous I am to go to paradise, to the Sunshine State, and train all day in the sun, and have to swim in the ocean! Tough life I have. Of course it will be hard to leave the comfort of my parents home and I will miss seeing their beautiful faces each and everyday, but seriously. I'm worried about traveling to a sandy beach that is a short direct flight away?

Sean really helped to bring me back down to Planet Earth and realize just how good I have it. There are major issues apparent in our world, country, and state, yet I'm nervous to go to the beach. I was in serious need of this reality check!!

Lesson learned, thanks Sean. And now when people ask if I'm excited about heading south, I know exactly how to reply, "Heck yeah!!" I couldn't be more fortunate!

As for Sean, he made the team (duh, he's the bomb!) but realized that Sarajevo just wasn't his thang! Thank God because now he's become a just as amazing brother, friend, and soon to be Daddy (we find out tomorrow if Baby Murphy is a boy or girl!!).

Until next time, train on!!

No comments: