Monday, October 19, 2009

Cbus Update

Yesterday was my first marathon. I ran a 3:52. Before the race I thought I could pull off a sub-3:40 with my sad semi-training plan. But I was humbled.

I have never been so sore, stiff, or achy. Ironman is cherry pie compared to this. There were times when I had no control over my knees and they would start to buckle. Around mile 20 I felt like someone was stabbing my right bum over and over and it would send shooting pain down my leg. The race was humbling, exciting, and has left me wanting more.

I have some great pics, but no camera cord. So those will have to wait.

Congrats to everyone who showed this race who's boss! My lil bro totally dominated but I'll save his story for when I have my pics.

The rest of the day was a whirlwind. As soon as I finished, my family gathered me up and stuffed me in the car. We squeezed three people in the back and drove three hours home. When we got home my legs decided they had had enough abuse and stopped working. Thankfully my mom helped me out because after being home for only a half hour I was being dumped off at the airport. I flew to Chicago, tried to get off the plane, and literally had to peel my bum off the seat. My legs were useless and my hips were worse than the Tinman's. Finally I boarded my last flight of the night and made it to Appleton, WI, where I truly looked and felt disabled.

I just had the worlds best cinnamon apple waffles for breakfast and it's now time for a food coma. Good night.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Wow. I don't know that much about marathon timing, but that seems like a pretty impressive time to me.

I have never wanted to do a marathon, and you've cemented that for me..lol.

I hope your body recovers soon, congrats!

Those waffles sound like a gastronomic slice of heaven!!!

Sherry said...

I've heard this about the marathon before; very, very tough... even when compared to long course triathlon.

I think you did GREAT, Monica... a 3:52 on your first time out is really stellar!

I'm very eager to do my first marathon, but I want it to be the RIGHT one (so it's gotta be cool out) and I want to be in the right frame of mind to really put in the tough mileage beforehand.

So what's next on your list? How's the new job?